Friday, October 26, 2007

Fear

Fear is one of the biggest limitations people face as they go toward their dreams. You might ask why would people fear what they are striving for. Well, there are two main variations of that. First, there is fear of failure. What will my family and friends think if I do this and it fails? What if they won't respect me? What if I lose all my money? What if I can't pay the mortgage? What if I lose my house? What if I lose my spouse?

Do you see how it spirals down to worse and worse things? That is what fear breeds - first doubt, then dread, then it steadily progresses until the worst possible thing imaginable is encountered. (F.E.A.R. - False Expectations Appearing Real) Naturally, when this happens, people stop in their tracks and don't even think of moving forward. Some turn and run the other way. Fight or flight. Many people choose the latter.

The second variation is fear of success. This is less common, but with the same results. It starts with "what if people treat me differently"? What if my family and friends are jealous? What if everyone is out to get what I've acquired? What if the wealth ruins who I am and destroys my family with self-indulgent desires? You don't want that. So you stop.

Many times these fears are self-conscious and you don't even realize they're there. You begin to sabotage your efforts. Things are not going well and you can't figure out why. The process continues until you ultimately give up and concede that it wasn't meant to work out.

This happens all the time. Yesterday, we discussed about breaking through those limitations and barriers. How does one break through fear? There is only one way, that is to face it. It's difficult and very uncomfortable. But as you do it, you begin to realize that it is not so bad. Then it gets easier. Then you learn you can do it. Then confidence develops. Soon you realize that you've conquered that fear. This is the process and it usually takes time, especially at the beginning. The more times you repeat the process with different fears, the easier and faster you go through it.

There are many times that you will be unsuccessful at first. This is where most people give up. Remember, there are a few subtle things that differentiate the successful and the unsuccessful. Successful people fight through those fears and other barriers. You can to, if you want to.

Humble yourselves, therefore, under God's mighty hand, that he may lift you up in due time. Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you. I Peter 5: 6,7

The Serenity Prayer
God, give us grace to accept with serenity the things that cannot be changed, courage to change the things that should be changed, and the wisdom to distinguish the one from the other. Reinhold Niebuhr

No comments: